1. Mix and Match Tweed Boyfriend Coat from Topshop ($154.25)
2. Velveton Military Coat from Zara ($99.99)
3. Coat with Appliqués on the Sleeves from Zara ($199)
Welcome to a brand new series of Trendy Tuesdays that will be focusing exclusively on the latest fashion trends and practices. Our features, true to the standards of AX3, will touch base with both Asian and North American styles in order to provide the very best intel for you fashionistas!
Although many are in mourning for this passing summer season, a large number of fashion forward individuals are sharpening their eyes and perking up their ears for the latest and most attractive trends of this upcoming fall season. While the cutting edge designs modelled at high end fashion shows may seem too extreme for us normal folks, there are always certain lessons that can be taken straight from the catwalk into your own closet.
For your fall wardrobe, focus on oversized coats, peplum silhouettes, baroque and brocade designs, leather, and prints. These bright patterns and interesting textures are anything but yawn-inducing and will prevent any unfortunate autumn fashion slumps from occurring.
Note: if you’re like most people and you’re not willing to shell out thousands of dollars for the latest high end designer brands, we have provided “Fashionably Affordable Alternatives” that should allow you to try each trend without spending every hard-earned penny. Remember, shopping on a budget is the true test of a fashionista’s mettle!
1) Oversized Coats (see topmost image): These coats from the Chloé, Isabel Marant, and Shiroma collections demonstrate two different ways to wear the oversized trend: voluminously feminine or smartly militant.
2) Peplum: The flirty and feminine peplum trend for women’s tops is still running rampant into the fall season. If you were like me and were too skeptical of the trend to buy one last season, you now have a second chance to become a believer.
1. Pearl Collar Rib Peplum Top from Topshop ($50.36)
2. Puffed Collar Peplum Top from Forever 21 ($23.80)
3. Strapless Peplum Dress from Forever 21 ($22.80)
3) Baroque/Brocade: Another great trend has been noted on dresses, jackets, and other clothing pieces that feature baroque or brocade designs, sometimes known as “scarf-print” patterns. This particular type of print will bring amazing elements of eye-dazzling swirls and rich designs into your wardrobe that will be sure to gain you some welcome attention.
1. Sequin Cocktail Dress from Le Chateau ($99.95)
2. Batik Print Shift Dress from Forever 21 ($21.80)
3. Paisley Print Bodycon Dress from Forever 21 ($13.80)
4) Leather: If you haven’t heard of the global phenomenon that is “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” the book trilogy’s main theme deals with the fierce courage that is needed in order to be different. On those days when you feel like kicking butt, channel your inner biker chick chic by throwing on a leather jacket, pants, or a skirt.
1. Leggings from H&M ($49.95)
2. Mackage-Rachel from Aritzia ($598)
3. Leather Skirt from H&M ($149)
5) Prints: Our last trend requires some bravery and confidence in order to pull off these bold and exciting prints. If you are apprehensive about blinding others with a print-overloaded outfit, feel free to wear just one article of print-covered clothing. However, the sartorial rewards are often more than enough for individuals who dare to wear these impossible-to-ignore patterns.
1. Blouse from H&M ($19.95)
2. Collection Graphic Print Pants from J. Crew ($248)
3. Kaleidoscope Zigzag Shift Dress from Forever 21 ($23.80)
4. Trousers from H&M ($14.95)
These are just a few tips to get you started on your fall fashion adventures. Be sure to choose styles that flatter and cheer you up, don’t let the shortening days and darker skies stop you from dressing bright and colourfully!